|This Page:||The other pages:||
Intro to this guide
Making extra gold in WoW isn’t hard. Follow a few basic tips and you should have enough to buy your epic flyer (and training) at 70, plus keep yourself in decent gear through the leveling grind. If you want to get to the point where that 3 person mount is out of pocket change then it’s going to take a bit more work.
In this guide we’ll be covering concepts and techniques rather than the “go here, farm that” type of stuff, which is boring anyway. Also, new expansions (especially Cataclysm, with its world breaking redesign) render much of that advice obsolete. The basics won’t change enough to care about.
If you’ve seen the gold stashes that some people have then you may have been quite impressed. A number of players have a lot of gold. Ok, a few bought some, or all, of their gold, but many of them got it through knowing the WoW market and taking advantage of it and just working at it for a long time. As an example, If you make 1k gold a day, from day 1, then it will take you a bit over 3 months to have 100k gold.
There used to be a cap of about 212k gold, but Blizzard fixed that in WoW 4.0. It’s now a million gold. 1000 days at 1k profit a day, buying nothing else. Maybe there’s a better way…
On buying gold… We don’t do it. If you want to then go for it. Of course, there’s the risk of getting your account banned, but what the heck. It’s just all your characters, right?
There is a certain appeal to getting a nice chunk of gold in minutes, instead of hours. Our feeling is that you can take the money you’d use to buy gold and buy a guide instead (or read this one.) You’ll get a lot more bang for your buck and make a lot more gold in the long run. Plus, we don’t like to have our accounts deleted. Kinda gutless, I know, but there you go.
Also, you don’t need to have high level characters to make a lot of gold. While you won’t be grinding Cataclysm stuff with your level 3 Warlock, you’ll be able to play the Auction House game as well as any. That’s why so many of the characters floating around the various AHs are level 1 or so. Some of them have way more gold than you do. Nothing wrong with the high level characters, but level 1 opens this up to newer players.
So how much can be made with level 1 characters, starting from scratch, on a new server? No 80s, no DKs, no farming, no dailies, no dungeons, no generous guilds, etc? Would 1,000 gold in 30 days, from scratch, be interesting? How about 5,000? Check out our 1,000 Gold in 30 Days post. The end total after that 30 days was well over 5,000 gold. From zero, new server, etc. No, there was no gold buying, either. That’s the same character in the image above, some time later.
By the way, all these tips will work just fine in Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, or whatever. As for the good ol’ farming techniques? All the farmers will be heading out to the new zones, which is why old world items (ores, skins, etc.) will continue to demand a good price. People will still want/need them and the only one gathering/collecting them is you. Sound like an opportunity?
Getting the gold at Low level - You’re brand new to the game or to the server and don’t have a copper to your name, or you just don’t want to use your high levels for these tasks. Here’s how to get started.
- Basic Gold Gathering Tips - basic, but solid, tips that will make your gold accumulation in WoW easier. This is a good place to start for the person who just needs/wants enough “to get by.”
- Gathering for Gold - Some tips of gathering (herbs, ores, skins.) A nice, easy, reliable way to go
- Grinding - Grinding? Farming? Blech. Well, if that’s your thing then here are some tips.
- The Auction House Alt - A very useful character. This one will sell all of your stuff. An Auction House alt, or Banker, is a character that stores your stuff for selling on the AH. Here’s how it works…
- Networking - Ready to get more serious? Here’s how to set up a network of your own characters to make gold creation happen in a more efficient manner.
- Limited items - These are vendor sold items that are in limited supply or hard to find. Grab them and resell them for a profit. Here’s the scoop…
- Professions - How do you make a small fortune using the crafting professions? Start with a large one. Generally, the crafting professions a a great way to spend tons of gold, rather than earn it, but there are a few things you can do to defray costs and even earn some solid gold. (Most of that 300+ K gold came from crafting.)
- Auctioneer - Auctioneer is a addon that will help you to play the Auction House Game far more effectively than otherwise.
- Addons - Some other addons that we’ve found to be useful for gold making.
- More Gold Tips - On the blog, more tips will appear there.
- Tycoon Addon – Our review of a pretty cool little widget. It scans the AH, looking for deals, marks your map for gathering/farming routes, and more.
Ok, so you aren’t happy with enough gold to buy your mounts and green gear. You want to be able to buy those very nice purple items on tha AH, dropping nearly 10k per item and not have to think about it (like I just did.) Sure, you can get those items raiding, if you can get into a decent raid guild. Or get your arena ranking high enough.
Or maybe you just want to make sure your alts and your favorite guildies/buddies don’t have to worry about gold and can just pay attention to other stuff. In which case you will easily be able to fund all your alts, your guildies, your reparis and consumables, your gems and enchants, and buy any nice purple gear that pops up on the AH, and carry it around on your mechano-hog…
There’s just one final question…
- Do you want to be able to get your gold with low level characters, entirely within the Auction House (which means no farming, ever?) Or would you like to know which items are worth farming now? And would you like all of the research to be done automatically? For the answer to either question, go here now…