A Brief Paladin PvP Guide for the Mists of Pandaria
Given the same gear plenty of people argue that Paladins are more overpowered than Death Knights. Certainly they make excellent tanks, damage machines, and healers and that’s the reason that you’ll see so many of them in PvP (though not so many of those will be Protection.)
Keep in mind that the most important factor in PvP success is you. If you’re really serious about PvP you’ll know your character inside out and you’ll know the other guy’s character inside out, as well. You’ll know what he’s likely to do and what you can do about that.
This page is just an overview of Paladins in PvP. See the individual pages below for more in-depth detail.
Check these pages for the individual PvP guides:
- Holy Paladin PvP – Superb healers and very hard to kill.
- Holy Paladin PvP Gear – Just the gear, please.
- Retribution Paladin – Crush the opposition
- Paladin changes for 5.4
- Paladin patch notes for patches 5.2 and 5.3
- Paladin leveling – if you’re not yet max level.
- Paladin overview – A top level view of the Paladin, in general.
The value of Resilience was crushed in patch 5.3. Now everyone in any gear starts at 65% resilience. Yes, if you hop into the arena in raid gear you have 65% resilience. You won’t have any PvP Power, though.
See here for how it works in patch 5.3.
- Retribution: Melee Hit (3%) > Expertise (3%-6%) > Strength > Haste > Mastery = Crit
- Holy: Intellect > Spirit > PvP Power > Mastery > Crit > Haste > PvP Resilience
PvP Power and Relience gem values were cut in half in patch 5.3, so now only have 160 points each, where they had 320 before the patch. In addition, PvP Power was nerfed by a third and Resilience was changed: it no longer appears on most gear and every starts with 65% Res. as a base value, regardless of gear.
Enchants are similar: Int/Str > then the secondaries.
Don’t bother gemming or enchanting for Resilience.
Gems for the Retribution Paladin
- Meta socket: Reverberating Primal Diamond, until you can get Tyrannical Primal Diamond
- Red, belt bucle, blacksmithing slot: Bold Primordial Ruby or Fierce Vermilion Onyx
- Yellow: Quick Sun’s Radiance
- Blue: Tense Imperial Amethyst
Gems for Holy Paladins
- Meta socket: Revitalizing Primal Diamond until you can get Tyrannical Primal Diamond. The legendary Courageous Primal Diamond is a pretty nice choice if you can get it.
- Red, belt buckles, blacksmithing slots: Brilliant Primordial Ruby
- Yellow: Fractured Sun’s Radiance or Zen Wild Jade
- Blue: Sparkling River’s Heart or Purified Imperial Amethyst
Keybinds and Macros
If you can use your keys for all of your abilities and your mouse to turn (and not click abilities) then you’re ahead of the game. Impulse will make it easy for you to set up all your keybinds and macros. Get yours here.
- Retribution PvP
- Holy PvP
- Holy PvP Gear
- Retibution on YouTube – patch 5.3
- Holy on YouTube – patch 5.3