Updated for Mists of Pandaria
Patch 5.2 notes
There will be a lot of changes coming to Blacksmithing with the 5.2 patch. Among other things:
- New training projects will make getting from 1 to 500 a lot easier, though it looks like you will have to be 85+ to access them, as they are only available in Pandaria. More here. New weapons.
- New raid and PvP blacksmithing recipes have been added, and can be acquired through daily research of Lightning Steel Ingots.
- Seasoned Blacksmiths will be able to find a way to create Lightning Steel Ingots once their realm has unlocked the Thunderforges on the Isle of Thunder. These ingots will allow blacksmiths to recreate powerful weapons from the past, updated for Mists of Pandaria. These power weapons will be bind-on-equip and making them will take a significant amount of dedication.
- For blacksmiths who have lapsed in their trade (i.e., haven’t practiced blacksmithing since the Burning Crusade), there is a (not necessarily cost efficient) way to catch-up. Blacksmiths at your faction’s shrines in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms will be able to teach you training plans for crafting common household items using Ghost Iron Bar.
Blacksmithing can be a nice little moneymaker at the high end and allows you to make several nice weapons and full armor sets at various points while leveling the skill.
You also get, as a self-only ability, the ability to add a gem slot to both your bracers and gloves. You can also make lockpicks (not reusable, but cheap enough,) belt buckles, sharpening stones, and misc. other useful items.
Synergistic Profession(s): Mining
No more Specializations: Previously there was a quest where a Blacksmith could specialize in Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing. With Cataclysm these specializations have been removed and all Blacksmiths will have access to the same recipes from any trainer. Hopefully they, or replacement specializations, will be restored someday. If they do that perhaps they could add more useful mid-level items. As it it, the items available from Blacksmithing could be better, though the Cata gear is pretty nice.
Some of the Cataclysm items are well done. The Redsteel and Hardened Obsidium sets are nice. Some of the higher level stuff is too expensive to create given how easy it is to get better gear with Justice points. Other items, such as gem slots and keys, are certainly useful.
Profession Perk: Blacksmiths can add a gem socket to bracers and gloves. Gems in Mists have twice the value for secondary stats as for primary stats, 360 Haste Vs 160 Str, for example. This gives those two slots more versatility than other profession buffs, especially if your spec values something other than the primary stat.
For PvP that’s 640 PvP Power Vs 320 Str/Ag/Int, a definite bonus.
In addition to gear pieces you can make items (sharpening stones and weightstones) to buff your weapons damage, others items that act as enchants (weapons chains,) rods for enchanters, and a few misc. other useful items.
Want to have a guide to power leveling all of your professions in an in-game window? Get yours here.
Mists of Pandaria will have a whole new set of items that can be created with Blacksmithing as well as new ores to be dug up. Here’s an early list of what you will be able to make.
- Max skill level will be 600, “Zen Master Blacksmith,” train up at 500.
- Note that many of the items on that MoP list provide 3-5 points of skill each.
- Ores/bars can be expensive, if your not mining them yourself. You might want to work on your mining or make an arrangement with a friendly minor and buy ores/bars from her. Or you can just earn a ton of gold and buy the overpriced mats from the Auction House. Ghost Iron bars will likely become very expensive, see the training note above for patch 5.2.
|Skills||Items to be created||Materials to make one item|
1-75, Apprentice Blacksmith, Requires level 5, Train up at 50+
|1-25||Rough Sharpening Stone||Rough Stone|
|25-65||Rough Grinding Stone||2x Rough Stone|
|45-75||Copper Chain Belt||6x Copper Bar|
76-150, Journeyman Blacksmith, Requires level 10, Train up at 125+
|75-85||Coarse Grinding Stone||2x Coarse Stone|
|85-100||Runed Copper Belt||10x Copper Bar|
|100-105||Silver Rod||Silver Bar
2x Rough Grinding Stone
|105-125||Rough Bronze Leggings||6x Bronze Bar|
|125-150||Heavy Grinding Stone||3x Heavy Stone|
151-225, Expert Blacksmith, Requires level 20, Train up at 220+
|150-155||Golden Rod||Gold Bar
2x Coarse Grinding Stone
|155-165||Green Iron Leggings||Green Dye
Heavy Grinding Stone
8x Iron Bar
|165-185||Green Iron Bracers||Green Dye
6x Iron Bar
|185-200||Golden Scale Bracers||5x Steel Bar
2x Heavy Grinding Stone
|200-205||Solid Sharpening Stone||Solid Stone|
|200-210||Solid Grinding Stone||4x Solid Stone|
|210-225||Heavy Mithril Gauntlet||6x Mithril Bar
4x Mageweave Cloth
226-300, Artisan Blacksmith, Requires level 35, Train up at 275+
|8x Mithril Bar|
|235-250||Mithril Coif||10x Mithril Bar
6x Mageweave Cloth
|250-260||Dense Sharpening Stone||Dense Stone|
|260-275||Thorium Bracers||8x Thorium Bar|
|275-295||Imperial Plate Bracers||12x Thorium Bar|
|290-300||Thorium Boots||12x Thorium Bar
8x Rugged Leather
|290-300||Thorium Helm||12x Thorium Bar
301-375, Master Blacksmith, Requires level 50, Train up at 350+
|300-305||Fel Weightstone||Fel Iron Bar
|305-315||Fel Iron Belt||4x Fel Iron Bar|
|315-325||Fel Iron Boots||6x Fel Iron Bar|
|325-335||Lesser Rune of Warding||Adamantite Bar|
|330-335||Fel Iron Breastplate||10x Fel Iron Bar|
|335-340||Adamantite Cleaver||8x Adamantite Bar|
|340-350||Lesser Ward of Shielding||Adamantite Bar|
|350-360||Cobalt Boots||4x Colt Bar|
|360-370||Cobalt Triangle Shield||4x Cobalt Bar|
376-450, GrandMaster Blacksmith, Requires level 65, Train up at 425+
|370-380||Cobalt Gauntlets||5x Cobalt Bar|
|380-385||Spiked Cobalt Boots||7x Cobalt Bar|
|385-390||Sure-fire Shuriken||7x Cobalt Bar|
|390-395||Notched Cobalt War Axe||10x Cobalt Bar|
|395-400||Brilliant Saronite Belt||6x Cobalt Bar
5x Saronite Bar
|400-405||Horned Cobalt Helm||8x Cobalt Bar|
|405-415||Deadly Saronite Dirk||7x Saronite Bar
2x Crystallized Air
|415-425||Eternal Belt Buckle||4x Saronite Bar
451-525, Illustrious GrandMaster Blacksmith, Requires level 75, Train up at 425+
|425-455||Folded Obsidium||2x Obsidium Bar|
|455-459||Hardened Obsidium Shield||3x Folded Obsidium|
|459-470||Redsteel Belt||4x Folded Obsidium
|470-475||Obsidium Bladespear||12x Folded Obsidium
10x Volatile Earth
4x Volatile Fire
|475-480||Obsidium Skeleton Key||2x Folded Obsidium|
|480-489||Stormforged Legguards||2x Folded Obsidium
8x Elementium Bar
|489-494||Obsidium Executioner||10x Folded Obsidium
10x Elementium Bar
6x Volatile Earth
|489-494||Fire Etched Dagger||20x Elementium Bar
12x Volatile Earth
4x Volatile Fire
|494-500||Stormforged Helm||20x Elementium Bar
8x Volatile Earth
|500-510500-525||Redsteel BreastplateSee Zen Blacksmithing, below||15x Elementium Bar
15x Volatile Earth
|510-520||Vicious Pyrium Belt||10x Elementium Bar
10x Volatile Fire
|510-520||Vicious Ornate Pyrium Belt||10x Elementium Bar
10x Volatile Water
|520-525||Vicious Pyrium Shoulders||12x Elementium Bar
10x Volatile Fire
|520-525||Vicious Ornate Pyrium Shoulders||12x Elementium Bar
10x Volatile Water
500 – 600, Zen Master Blacksmith, Requires level 80, Train up at 500+
In order to gain the new Contender’s gear recipes or to create epic gear you will need to obtain Spirits of Harmony. You do not need these to level your skill to 600, but you will spend a lot of Ghost Iron bars to do so. We recommend getting at least two of the spirits.
You can get spirits several ways:
You can find a Blacksmithing trainer in Pandaria: Len, the Hammer <Blacksmithing Trainer>, friendly to Horde and Alliance. Found in Dawn’s Blossom, in the Jade Forest, but your regular trainers have the same recipes.
For the new recipes, all the Contender and Masterwork recipes, you will need at least one Spirit of Harmony in order to buy them and they are only available from the vendors shown below. The other recipes (Lightsteel, etc.) are available from any Blacksmithing trainer.
To access the M of P vendors you will need to do a quest series to access the zone, which requires level 87+. You do not need to be level 90 or have any particular rep to buy patterns, but you DO need to have Blacksmithing skill in order to see the patterns the vendor has to offer.
If you want to get to 600 skill without buying (or gathering) a painful number of Ghost Iron bars you will want to collect two spirits of harmorny to buy two Masterwork recipes (see below for details.)
For the patterns, see:
A minimum of 208 Ghost Iron bars and 10 Trillium bars will be needed to level to 600.
|500-515||15x Ghostly Skeleton Key||1x Ghost Iron Bar15 bars total|
|515-525||2x Your pick of (each awards 5 skill points:)||5x Ghost Iron Bar10 bars total.|
|525-546||7x Lightsteel Boots or Spiritguard Boots, 3 skill points each.||7x Ghost Iron Bar49 total bars|
|546-550||2x Spiritguard Shoulders, 3 skill points each||7x Ghost Iron Bar14 total bars|
|550-565||3x any of: Ghost-Forged Breastplate or Helm, Lightsteel Breastplate or Helm, Spiritguard Breastplate or Helm. Each awards 5 skill points. (They go yellow at 565, green at 582, and grey at 600. )||12x Ghost Iron Bar36 bars total|
|565-577||4x Masterwork Ghost-Forged Shoulders or Masterwork Lightsteel Shoulders, each awards 3 skill points. (each recipe costs 1 Spirit of Harmony to buy)||7x Ghost Iron Bar28 bars total|
|577-600||5x Masterwork Spiritguard Shield or Masterwork Lightsteel Shield, 5 skill points each. (each recipe costs 1 Spirit of Harmony to buy)The following items go grey at 590 and green at 595, but do not require Trillium bars. Trillium bars are probably cheap enough, so unless you have a ton of bars go with the shields, above.||Shields: 12x Ghost Iron Bar and 2x Trillium bar60 Ghost iron and 10 Trillium total.Breastplates and Helms: 12 bars each.36 bars to get to 590, then a whole bunch to get to 600.|
Congratulations on your 600 Blacksmithing skill!
Items Sets That You Can Make
All of the following sets are Plate, unless otherwise noted. Only sets with at least chest and legs are included. There are various other sets that you can make that have three or four pieces, but that aren’t listed here. Before you sell these pieces make sure you check the Auction House prices. Some are in demand as Transmogrification pieces and might fetch high prices. You can see a few of these sets here.
Links will take you to WoWhead’s search for the appropriate items. Levels are the minimum level needed to equip items.
- Vicious Ornate Plate – Complete Holy Pally PvP set, level 85
- Vicious Pyrium Plate – Complete PvP set for other plate wearers, level 85
- Stormforged, Level 81-83, complete Holy plate set, plus shield
- Redsteel, level 81 to 83, complete DPS set.
- Hardened Obsidium, Tanking, level 81-83, complete set plus shield
- Tempered Saronite, complete tanking set, level 74-78
- Brilliant Saronite, Holy complete set, level 74-78
- Ornate Saronite, complete set, level 74-78
- Savage Saronite, complete set, level 74-78
- Iceguard – chest, legs, helm, level 70, recipes from a Vendor in Karazhan, requires honored with Violet Eye
- Reinforced Cobalt (PvP set) – chest, legs,helm, shoulders, level 73-77
- Enchanted Adamantite – Chest, legs, boots, belt, level 70
- Fel Iron Plate – chest, legs, boots, belt, level 61 to 64
- Radiant (mail) – chest, legs, boots, belt, helm, gauntlets, levels 47-56
- Dark Iron – all, but belt, levels 51 to 60. Includes weapons. view here.
Like this page? How about recommending it and/or commenting?