As an MM Hunter your skill with the bow is the #1 thing and your pet is mainly added damage. You don’t have the synergy with your pet that a BM Hunter does, but you do more direct damage. MM Hunters are also the PvP spec of choice, but that’s another guide. This one covers raid DPS.
Marksmanship Hunter Raid DPS Talent Build, Updated for 4.3
All Hunter races are pretty close in damage, but to squeeze every last bit of DPS…
- Troll with Bow (Berserking, Crit with bows, and the best Hunter weapon in-game is currently a bow: regular, heroic version)
- Orc – Better than a Troll w/o that bow.
- See here for a lot more detail on race choice.
Glyphs come in three varieties, Prime, Major and Minor. Prime glyphs enhance core aspects of your class and generally provide the greatest benefit of the three types.
Major Glyphs, while not quite as powerful as Prime Glyphs, are still useful and continue to provide a myriad of benefits.
Minor Glyphs often times provide small quality of life improvements or visual changes, such as the Glyph of Shadow Form for priests which makes the character more visible through Shadow Form. However, a few are known to provide more significant benefits such as the warrior glyph of Berserker Rage.
- Arcane Shot
- Steady Shot
- Kill Shot
- Chimera Shot
- Aimed Shot
- Silencing Shot
- Trap Launcher
- Raptor Strike
- Ice Trap
Here are your highest priority abilities.
- Hunter’s Mark – Keep active on target unless Marked for Death is already applied
- Serpent Sting – Keep active on target
- Chimera Shot – On Cooldown
- Aimed Shot – When Master Marksman procs
- Steady Shot – Twice to keep Improved Steady Shot active
- Arcane Shot – With extra focus
- Kill Shot – When the target reaches 20%
- Steady Shot – To regain Focus
Keep serpent sting and hunter’s mark applied at all times throughout the fight. Use Chimera Shot on Cooldown and cast aimed shot whenever master marksman procs. Arcane Shot is used to burn excess focus, but shouldn’t be used to completely drain focus. Always keep a pool of 50 Focus around for when Chimera Shot is available to be used again.
- Explosive Trap
- Call of the Wild
- Rapid Fire
Weapon (Ranged) DPS >> Agility > 8% Ranged Hit > Critical > Haste > Mastery
- Agility increases your attack power and critical chance, and is your primary damage dealing stat.
- (8%) Ranged Hit reduces your chance to miss with attacks. A hit rating of 8% makes it so that your special abilities will no longer miss on bosses, thereby avoiding loss of DPS.
- Critical rating increases your chance to critically hit with attacks. Critical hits multiply the damage of an attack.
- Haste reduces cast time for abilities, makes you shoot faster, and increases focus regeneration speed.
- Marksmanship Hunter Mastery grants a chance for ranged attacks to proc an additional instant ranged attack. If you do a lot of A of E fights then Mastery is more valuable, it’s fairly weak on single target fights (Bosses.)
When reforging gear, it’s important that you look to reforge from your least effective stat into the most effective for whatever gear goal you are currently aiming for. See our stat priority list for more information.
- 8% Ranged Hit > Critical
When reforging look first for 8% hit rating before maximizing your critical strike chance. On any gear without critical already present reforge the weakest stat into critical rating. Mastery should always be reforged into better stats.
If you can’t afford the new (as of 4.3) epic gems then dropping down one level is not a big DPS loss and you will save a lot of gold.
- Red – Delicate Queen’s Garnet/ Delicate Inferno Ruby – +50/40 Agility
- Yellow – Deadly Lava Coral/ Deadly Ember Topaz – +25/20 Agi & Crit
- Blue – Glinting Shadow Spinel/ Glinting Demonseye – +25/20 Agi & Hit (even less useful if you’re already at 8% Hit.)
- Meta – Agile Shadowspirit Diamond – +54 Agi, +3% crit damage
Unless a socket bonus offers agility, it’s more effective to gem for pure agility.
- Helm: Arcanum of Ramkahen
- Shoulders: Greater Inscription of Shattered Crystal
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak – Major Agiltiy
- Chest: Enchant Chest – Peerless Stats
- Bracers: Enchant Bracer – Agility
- Gloves: Enchant Gloves – Major Agility
- Belt: Ebonsteel Belt Buckle
- Leggings: Dragonscale leg Armor
- Boots: Enchant Boots – Major Agility / Enchant Boots – Assassin’s Step
- 2H Weapon: Enchant 2H Weapon – Mighty Agility
- Ranged: Flintlocke’s Woodchucker – Gnomish X-Ray Scope
Marksmanship Hunter DPS Build
There is some leeway with talents. For example, moving a point from Frenzy (BM) to Pathing (Survival.)
Marksmanship Hunter DPS Build 2
Our class guides for whichever class you’re playing:
The GotWarcraft Gold Guide
Like this page? How about recommending it?