If you’re not yet level 90 then you won’t be able to use everything on this page. If are interested in getting your character to max level quickly, take a look at this leveling guide.
Here’s a preview of Mists of Pandaria DK talents
Death Knight Frost Spec PvP Build, Two Handed
Frost DK Stats
- Primary Stats: Strength and Resilience
- Secondary Stats: 3% Hit > PvP Power > 3% Expertise > Mastery and Haste
- Weaker Stats: Crit,
- Useless: Hit or Expertise over 3%
Given a choice, always pick Str over any secondary stat.
Mastery increases all of your Frost damage, Haste speeds up everything you do, including Rune regeneration.
With 2H weapons excess Hit is completely useless. With dual wield it has some value (for white damage,) but that value is lower than Haste or Mastery.
Haste or Mastery?
If you do a lot of A of E type attacks then Mastery is better. For single targets (eg: 2s) go for Haste.
Reforge weaker stats to better ones.
- Make sure you have your 3% Hit
- Everything else into Mastery/Haste.
Gems for the Frost DK
Unless a socket bonus offers Strength, it’s more effective to gem for pure Strength and ignore the bonus.
Note that Mists of Pandaria (MoP) gems will have much higher values than those from Cataclysm. Replace your Cata gems with comparable MoP gems as soon as you are able to do so. If you can’t afford to buy the best gems then dropping down one level is not a huge issue, unless you’re dropping from MoP to Cata. Get to work on earning more gold.
|Meta||Reverberating Primal Diamond: +216 Str & Increased Crit Effect|
|Red||Bold Primordial Ruby: 160 Str|
|Yellow||Mystic Sun’s Radiance: 320 Resilience|
|Blue||Stormy River’s Heart: +320 PvP power|
|Prismatic||Bold Primordial Ruby: 160 Str|
Frost PVP Enchants
Short on gold? Most of the enchants below have similar enchants available, of lesser value, for less cash. Check with the rep vendor or the Auction House for what’s available (or you guild item maker/enchanter.) If you want to buy the best enchants, fund all of your alts, donate to the guild, etc., but don’t have the cash, then see what the Tycoon Addon can do about about fixing your poverty.
You might find it interesting to have two weapons, one with each enchant, and use a macro (or the equipment manager tool) to swap them, depending on who/what you’re fighting.
|Frost DK Enchantments|
|Weapon||Enchant Weapon – Dancing Steel: Sometimes increases Str by 1,650.
Living Steel Weapon Chain: +200 Expertise and reduces disarm duration by 60%
Rune of the Fallen Crusader: Chance for 3% heal and a chance for +15% Str, for 15 seconds
|Shoulders||Secret Tiger Fang Inscription: +520 Str and +100 Crit, requires Inscription
Greater Tiger Fang Inscription: +200 Str and +100 Crit
|Cloak||Enchant Cloak – Superior Critical Strike: +180 Crit rating|
|Chest||Enchant Chest – Super Resilience: +200 Resilience|
|Bracers||Enchant Bracer – Exceptional Strength: +170 Str
Socket Bracer: Requires Blacksmithing, self-only, pop in a nice gem.
|Gloves||Enchant Gloves – Super Strength: +170 Str
Socket Gloves: requires Blacksmithing, self-only, drop in a nice gem
|Belt||Ebonsteel Belt Buckle: Sockets your belt, pop in the best gem.|
|Leggings||Angerhide Leg Armor: +285 Str & 185 Crit rating|
|Boots||Enchant Boots – Pandaren’s Step: +140 Mastery and Slight run speed increase.|
|Rings||Enchant Ring – Greater Strength: +160 Str, Requires Enchanting 550|
Race Choice for Frost DKs
Note that Pandarans cannot become Death Knights, they probably manages to escape the Lick King’s notice.
- Blood Elf: Aside from their hair, Arcane Torrent silences opponents and restores some Runic Power.
- Draenei: Useful heal, small Hit increase, good with Jewelcrafting (for those epic gems.)
- Dwarf: Stone form washed bleeds and reduces damage, expertise with ranged isn’t much use to you.
- Human: Escape ability allows two DPS trinkets, expertise with swords and maces is useful if those are your weapons. Diplomacy helps with the Rep grind.
- Gnome: Small size counts, really, expertise is useful if you’re using one hand swords.
- Goblin: Rocket jump is a great entry or escape, small Haste increase, good with Alchemy (lots of useful potions.)
- Night Elf: A bit harder to hit, Shadowmeld has situation brilliance. Think ambushing or ‘melding right before a spell hits (which will break it.)
- Orc: Blood Fury for the burst, stun resistance, increase ghoul damage, expertise with axes.
- Tauren: War Stomp stuns opponents, a bit more health, good with Herbalism (adds Haste and a Heal.)
- Troll: Berserking for the burst, reduction in duration of slowing effects, ranged expertise is of small use to you.
- Undead: Already Unholy, so what could be better? Wash away fear, eat dead players, and in MoP they drain life (which heals them.)
- Worgen: Nice Sprint ability, small Crit increase, good at Skinning (which adds crit.)
Professions for any Death Knight
If you’re working on a profession then you should level it to 600, or close, as quickly as you can to get the best bonuses. The crafting professions can be expensive to level and in MoP (esp at launch) they will very expensive if you’re buying your materials. Take a look at this addon to help with earning enough gold to afford to do what you want to do.
Best DK professions? Blacksmithing for the sockets and useful items, Engineering for the useful items. The gathering professions are great for cash grinding, but a little less so for the bonuses. Since gems with secondary stats have twice the value of primary stats (eg: 320 resilience Vs 160 Str) Blacksmithing might be the best PvP profession, period, as you will be able to gem either 640 PvP power or Resilience, as opposed to about 320 Str value from the other professions.)
- Alchemy – Increased effect and duration from your own potions. +320 Str and 2 hour duration for your best flask.
- Blacksmithing – Allows you to pop in two more of those nice MoP gems.
- Enchanting – Enchant your own Rings for +160 Str each.
- Engineering – Nifty gadgets and Synapse Springs, which is great for the burst. 1940 in Mists.
- Jewelcrafting – Make nicer gems, for yourself, than are otherwise available.
- Leatherworking – Nice bracer enchants for 500 Str.
- Inscription – Nice shoulder enchant, 520 Str and 100 Crit
- Tailoring – Cloak enchant sometimes adds 4k attack power and you can make a flying carpet.
- Herbalism – a useful heal that comes with a Haste effect (2880 Haste for 20 seconds.)
- Mining – Increased stamina (480) through rock smashing.
- Skinning – a small amount (480) of increased Crit.
Video, How to: Frost (and Unholy) DK PvP
This video covers the above and includes macros and tips. You will want to hit “pause” frequently, as the author moves through things rather quickly. He also covers some interesting techniques. This is a Cataclysm video, but you should find it useful anyway.
If you like this page how about hitting that “like” button and/or leaving a comment?